last week wednesday i had an assignment to locate a struggling artist; a sculptor who lived in a poverty stricken community. The usual would happen, the reporter interviews him I’d get some interview photos and then some environmental portraits for the story / pictorial they would run for sundays paper. It took us about 30 minutes to find rob who was aliased “dutty rob” translation for the non jamaicas “dirty rob” the story behind the name is due to the fact that he’s a sculptor, who’s always working the material from his work tends to be on him all the time.. so he’s always well.. dirty.
anyway. we found him. took him back to his shop where he does his craft. which was a tiny space almost the size of a porta potty :(. shooting in there was near impossible. and the entrance was kinda of difficult to work with as there was a piece of wall that bared the door from opening completely. as a result he had to take the articles outside of the small hut place them on a make shift zinc table for the duration of the interview. following that i needed to shoot him in his little space
Luckily i travelled lightly that day. I used my Lumiquest SBIII as my lightsource modifier (see in above photo) and a d300s and a 24 – 120mm lens. i placed a sb 900 on dfu inside the tiny space behind him at a lowe power just to light the textured wall behind him a little bit. here’s the result of that photo albiet it wasn’t used in the final story.
Below is the photo they chose for the story which I think works better as its a photo of an unaware subject, while the photo I prefer is more of a portrait. This is the reason why it pays to have all your bases covered as you never know how an editor may chose to run a story.